|Organisation:||YMCA Mendip (including YMCA South Somerset)|
|Location:||Street Youth Centre, Sreet, BA16 0AS|
YMCA Mendip offers young people a range of services including emergency accommodation support, tenancy support, family mediation, resettlement support, move on support.
What will I be doing?
• Offering administration support to Youth and community Team Leaders
• Assisting in keeping spreadsheets up to date
• Online research
• Assisting with questionnaires
• Assisting with newsletters
What skills and attributes do I need?
• Good listening and communication skills
• Computer Literacy– Microsoft Office
• Organisational skills
• Sense of humour
• Ability to work on own initiative
• Natural understanding of confidentiality
What support will I be given?
• A general induction
• Training on day to day tasks
• Feedback on how I am doing
• Regular updates on fresh information
• A dedicated Volunteer Coordinator for support, advice and guidance
What personal benefits can I expect?
• Opportunity to develop new and existing skills and gain valuable experience
• A character reference when required
• Opportunity to meet new people
• Personal fulfilment in knowing I am making a difference to young
YMCA Mendip has been operating from Wells since 1892 and we now deliver and support a wide range of services, mostly for young people, across the whole of Mendip and also in South Somerset. We’re a fully autonomous independent local charity working for the people of Mendip and South Somerset with a main focus on young people and specialising in housing and homelessness issues.
YMCA Mendip support young people aged 16-25, who are homeless or threatened with homelessness, with supported housing projects, Grace Harris House (Shepton Mallet), Frome Foyer, Street Foyer and new projects in Yeovil. We also have supported accommodation for homeless adults in Spencer House (Wells). We support homeless people and those at risk of homelessness to access private rented accommodation and to maintain their tenancies once housed.
In addition to this YMCA Mendip provides youth clubs and drop ins across Mendip and more recently in Yeovil too. These include Routes Drop in Centre and Café in Frome, Frome Youth and Community Centre providing a range of services to the community and young people and Street Young Peoples Centre, a hub of services for young people. We have Youth Clubs at Glastonbury, Shepton Mallet, Frome, Yeovil and Coleford.
Volunteers enable us to further enrich the work we do with young people and vulnerable adults, for which we are extremely grateful. If you decide to apply you will be making a real difference to our mission to respond to young peoples’ needs, particularly in terms of homelessness and housing.
Although we are part of the worldwide YMCA movement we are self-funded and grateful to the many people and voluntary groups that help us with contributions and donations (and their time) as well as our partners with whom we have contracts.